Viewing sunrise atop the summit area of Haleakala is among the most sought-after experiences in the islands. The other worldly landscape, altitude, unique flora, and pervasive influence of ancient Hawaiian culture combine to create an event simply beyond imagination. Translated from Hawaiian, Haleakala means “House of the Sun”, and with the most experienced of Haleakala tour providers and operators of the finest vehicles for the trip, this tour is ideally qualified to share the rising of the sun with you.
What to Expect
Your expert driver guide will greet you at your hotel and welcome you aboard a state-of-art minibus that features wide side windows and an incredible panoramic front window well above the driver’s seat to open up the finest possible views of along the way to the summit area. Your driver’s superb live tour narration is augmented with captivating video segments shown on high tech vehicle monitors.
After viewing an incredible sunrise, we will descend from the dormant volcano, you will join newfound friends for a delicious local style breakfast at Kula Lodge with its Upcountry hospitality and stunning views of the west Maui mountains before returning to your hotel.
- Hotel pickup in specially outfitted Grech deluxe minibus with USB ports, video monitors, climate control, and the best windows for viewing the Haleakala landscape
- Dormant Volcano Haleakala was formed approximately 1 million years ago through the building up of layers of flowing lava. It has been a sacred location for Polynesian people who settled on the island 400-650 A.D.
- Haleakala National Park is home to over 1,000 different species of plant life. During the 38-mile drive to the summit area you will view the magnificent silver sword plant, found nowhere else on earth, and will pass ancient sacred locations, and breathtaking views from the safety and comfort of your vehicle.
- Ranger Station of the Park is at 7,000 ft where a convenient rest top is taken, and visitor information is available.
- Viewing of Sunrise as it rises above the clouds is the climax of the morning. The unforgettable show of light and color bursting into view is a spiritual experience for many. Majestic views from the 9,740 ft elevation are unparalleled anywhere. They are so expansive that under especially clear sky conditions other islands may be seen several miles away.
- Haleakala Visitor Center, constructed in 1936, is a small stone structure on the edge of a cliff. Information, souvenirs, and more. You’ll want to spend some time with the welcoming staff pleased to share their insights.
- Descend through the Clouds as you gently glide through the changes in topography, weather, and scenery accompany elevation changes.
- Views of Kula come into focus when approaching the open country slopes of the district meet agricultural land in this rustic region, home to early Portuguese and Chinese immigrant plantation workers.
- Scenic Upcountry Maui where misty mountain views, rich volcanic soil, and verdant farmland blends with a combination of early settlements and affluent new estates.
- Breakfast included at Kula Lodge, a local favorite, where you and your newly found friends will enjoy a delicious meal together.
Souvenir booklet containing facts, Hawaiian cultural information, and more.
- Hotel Return after your singular morning on fabled Haleakala.
- Hotel pick up is provided from major Maui hotels.
- Set your alarm to be ready for a 2:00/2:30 a.m. pickup from your hotel.
- Dress warmly!The temperature can be as low as around 20 degrees Fahrenheit, but the sight of the sun rising should warm you up.
- Round-Trip Transportation in Air-Conditioned Comfort
- Expert driver guide.
- National Park admissions
- 38-mile driving ascent of Haleakala
- Witness a kaleidoscope of changing colors and dazzling lights from atop Haleakala.
- Included breakfast at Kula Lodge.
Pick up from most hotels and resorts.
48 hours notice of cancellation prior to tour departure is required for full refund; no-shows will incur a full charge.